Last month, the world lost one of the greatest sportsmen it has ever seen in Diego Maradona. Perhaps the most skilled footballer ever, nobody could quite emulate what Maradona did on the pitch in the biggest football games at the time.
Today, as a tribute, here are some jaw-dropping facts on the great Maradona. John Eilermann.
• Maradona was eight years old when he was scouted and recruited by a youth coach to join the Argentinos Juniors team.
• At the age of 12, Maradona started displaying his brilliance on the football pitch, which led a lot of observers to consider him a prodigy. John Eilermann.
• When Maradona was 15, he played in his first official game for the Argentinos Junior. He scored his first goal a month after his debut.
• Maradona 115 goals for Argentinos Junior during his five years with them. Twenty-five years later, stadium management named the stadium after him.
• Maradona was 16 when he played his first national game for Argentina. John Eilermann.
• In 1981, Maradona joined popular Argentinian club Boca Juniors and helped the team win the title the year.
• In 1982, Maradona received $7.8 million for his transfer to F.C. Barcelona in Spain. It was his first of two record transfers. He is the only person in football history with two record transfers.
• Maradona helped F.C. Barcelona win the Spanish National Cup, the Copa del Rey, and the Spanish Super Cup in his second year with the club.
• Maradona is one of three F.C. Barcelona players in history to receive a standing ovation by the fans of their bitter rivals, Real Madrid. John Eilermann.